Spring has sprung and, my darling restauranteurs, you know what that means: Outdoor Events!  Do you have a favorite California street fair?  I’m particularly fond of the art and wine fests!

(Disclaimer: Do Not Make Significant Art Purchases After A Third Glass!)

I think you can handle just one small lesson before Spring Break 2013– let’s talk Catering Permits and Daily Licenses.

All License Types 41, 42, 47, 48 and 57 are allowed to obtain a Type 58 Caterer’s Permit.  A caterer’s permit allows a licensee to sell alcoholic beverages off site.  Remember – your current license privileges carry over – meaning if you just sell beer and wine at your actual premises,  your off site event has the same parameters.

Here is what you need to know: In addition to having the Type 58 license,  you must obtain authorization from the ABC for most catered events.   The process is relatively simple (and simpler if I handle it for you, of course!).  You’ll need to present your Catering Authorization application to your local ABC office at least two weeks prior to your event.  This will give the ABC enough time to process.  Keep in mind that your Catering Authorization Application make take more time if:

  • There are more than 500 people attending the event
  • The event is outdoors
  • Event is on adjacent property
  • The event is at a location that already holds an alcoholic beverage license

Different from a Caterer’s Permit/Authorization is a DAILY LICENSE, only available for qualified non-profit organizations.    The authorization process is essentially the same as for the Catering Authorization – there are just a few extra documents that need to be provided to ABC.

As always, I am here to help.